Drug and Alcohol Requirements for Truck Companies
The unlawful or negligent use of drugs and alcohol have no place within the trucking industry. To keep drivers and passengers safe on our nation's highways, the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration has established detailed and comprehensive rules around drug and alcohol testing that companies must perform in order to make sure that their drivers are drug and alcohol free when operating their big rigs. https://youtu.be/gS9z-EEr4lg?rel=0
Federal regulations strictly prohibit trucking companies from hiring or employing truck drivers that test positive for any kind of illegal drug or alcohol use.
Federal Regulations about Drug and Alcohol for Trucking Companies
In order for truck companies to comply with federal regulations, they must have the following programs in place to screen their drivers for drug and alcohol use:
- Truck companies must have a have a drug and alcohol testing policy.
- They must train their drivers on that policy, and must provide their management with drug and alcohol-use training.
- They must conduct random testing of their drivers for illegal drugs and alcohol.
- If they reasonably suspect unlawful drug or alcohol use, they must perform drug tests or alcohol test.
- Trucking companies must also perform follow-up testing after a driver has been found to have used illegal drugs or alcohol.
- Before hiring a new driver, truck companies must test prospective hires for drugs and alcohol.
Drug and Alcohol Related Record Keeping
Trucking companies must also keep the following important records, among others, relating to the drug and alcohol testing of its employees:
- Previous pre-employment alcohol and drug test statements
- Alcohol and Drug Records Request
- Drug Test Results
These regulations and rules are an important part of efforts to make sure that truck drivers operating these 80,000-pound rigs are alert and safe.
If you or a loved one has been a victim of a truck accident, please call today –1-877-936-7200 – for a free consultation with me or with one of our truck accident lawyers. This is no fee unless we win your case. I promise that we will use all of our skill, experience and resources to secure maximum justice for you or your loved one.