Finding Liability in Truck Maintenance Records
When investigating a trucking accident, it’s important to consider whether the truck was properly maintained according to federal standards. To determine if improper truck maintenance was a factor in the cause of a collision, there must be a detailed review of all the inspection and maintenance records that truck drivers and trucking companies are required to keep.
Liability in the Truck Maintenance Records
These federally-regulated records can hold key information about whether or not the truck in the crash was maintained according to strict safety rules and regulations.
If there is even a hint that the cause of an accident was maintenance-related, there are a number of inspection and truck maintenance reports that a truck accident attorney must request as part of discovery.
Among the reports that should be secured are the following:
- Pre and Post Trip Driver Vehicle Inspection Reports – these are also called DVIRs
- Inspector Qualification Certifications
- Periodic inspection reports for the tractor and trailer involved in the collision
- State and Local Department of Transportation inspection reports
- All federal inspection reports
- All other documents covering inspections, maintenance, and repairs made to the tractor and trailer involved in the crash – including the manuals that detail how truck and trailers are to be properly maintained.
Many of these records are now being maintained electronically, so it’s important for truck litigation attorneys to have a way to collect, review and store that key evidence.
A careful review of these important digital or paper records will likely turn up evidence that demonstrates whether or not the truck driver or trucking company had followed the vehicle inspection and maintenance rules set out by regulators like the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration.
Contact a Truck Accident Lawyer Today
If you or a loved one has been a victim of a truck accident, especially as a result of improper truck maintenance, please call today for a free consultation with me or with one of our truck accident lawyers. This is no fee unless we win your case. I promise that we will use all of our legal skill, experience and resources to secure maximum justice for you or your loved one.